How do I become a real estate agent?
To become a Real Estate Agent in Australia, you need to:
- Gain an approved real estate licence qualification such as the Certificate IV in Real Estate Practice
- Have at least 12 months full-time work experience, supervised by a licenced real estate agent and completed within three years of applying for your licence.
- Apply for a real estate agent’s licence to the relevant authority in your state. In NSW this is NSW Fair Trading
Let’s look at each of these in more detail.
What qualifications do I need to become a real estate agent in NSW?
Assistant Agent Course
In Australia, each state has its own qualifications. In NSW, to start working in real estate, the first step is completing the Assistant Agent Course. This course will give you the skills and knowledge to be work-ready, as well as allow you to apply for registration with NSW Fair Trading. You will need to complete five core units of study in this real estate course:
- CPPREP4003 Access and interpret legislation in real estate
- CPPREP4005 Prepare to work in real estate trust accounts
- CPPREP4001 Prepare for professional practice in real estate
- CPPREP4002 Access and interpret ethical practice in real estate
- CPPREP4004 Establish marketing profiles in real estate
Once you obtain your statement of attainment, you can apply to Fair Trading NSW for a Certificate of Registration that will allow you to operate as an Assistant Agent under the supervision of a Class 2 or 1 Licence holder while you complete the next step.
Become a Licenced Real Estate Agent
Your next step is to continue your studies and complete the Certificate IV in Real Estate Practice to become a fully-licenced real estate agent.
This course is also known as a Class 2 Licence course and qualifies you to work as a real estate agent in NSW. It will give you knowledge of real estate practice, legal agency and compliance requirements, ethical standards, and consumer preferences. There are 18 units of study in total, including 5 Core Units, 10 Units of Competency prescribed by NSW Fair Trading and 3 elective units.
This qualification will allow you to work with both residential and commercial property, including business broking and stock and station transactions**
(**where relevant units of competency have been completed).
At REINSW there are a number of pathways available to achieve your Certificate IV qualification they are:
Become a Licensee in Charge
If you want to run your own real estate agency, you will need a Diploma of Property (Agency Management . This qualifies you to work as a real estate principal or director and run an agency as Licensee in Charge. It also allows you to apply for a Class 1 Licence (Licensee in Charge) from NSW Fair Trading. In this course, you will need to complete 11 units of study across 5 Clusters required by NSW Fair Trading, plus one elective unit.
The clusters are:
- Business and Financial Management
- Effective Workplace Management
- Ethics and Compliance
- Marketing and Communication Strategies
- Work Health and Safety
To successfully complete this course you must hold a Class 2 licence and complete at least two years of supervised work experience as a Class 1.
Pay via installments is available at REINSW and members save 10% on most courses. You will have a dedicated trainer and learning support officer to work with and streamlined assessments make it easier to complete a course and get qualified.
At REINSW there a number of pathways available to achieve your Diploma qualification they are:
- Apply for Recognition of prior learning. An assessment process of past experience and education is required.
- Enrol into the complete the Diploma of Property (Agency Management either online or evenings VIA ZOOM
What are the CPD requirements for real estate agents?
Once you have a real estate licence, the learning doesn’t stop there. There is a government requirement for you to complete CPD (Continuing Professional Development) hours each year, with the CPD year running from 23 March to 22 March the following year. This allows you to refresh and expand your knowledge, keeping you up to date with the latest developments. There are different requirements depending on the stage you are at in your career, and there are some compulsory and some elective units to complete.
Learn everything you need to know about the latest CPD requirements
How to apply for a real estate agent’s licence
Once you have successfully completed your qualification and work experience, you need to apply for your real estate licence to Fair Trading NSW via Service NSW. Fair Trading NSW provides information on how to register on their website.
What skills and qualities do I need to become a real estate agent?
Of course, it takes more than just real estate qualifications to succeed in real estate.
According to Seek, here are some of the top professional practice qualities that employers are looking for:
- Ethical standards
- Conflict resolution skills
- Sales skills
- Neat personal presentation
- Customer service skills background
- Prospecting skills
The number one quality we would add to this is to be good at working with people. Whether you're running your own real estate practice, or an assistant agent, real estate is always first and foremost a people business. Whether your customers are buying or selling, renting a home, investing or divesting, you are helping them navigate a transaction that is hugely important in their lives. Being good with people is essential.
How do I get a job in real estate?
Once you have completed your real estate training course, it’s time to start looking for your first job in the industry. Here are our top tips on how to get a job in real estate.
- Start by doing your research. Learn as much as you can about the agencies and real estate practices you think you might like to work for. Who are the agents? Take a look at how they dress for hints on what to wear for an interview. Understand what is important to them. Find out facts like how many sales vs. auctions they have.
- When you get an interview, listen and speak with confidence, in a way that shows the real estate agency how you would interact with their customers.
- Think about the job you want, now and later in your real estate career. Are you interested in sales or property management? How about being an auctioneer, marketer or buyer’s agent?
- Join REINSW. This will give you access to all the latest information in real estate, as well as networking opportunities and advice. Learn more.
- Become an IT Guru. Like in every industry, technology is becoming increasingly important since the COVID-19 pandemic. Customers expect a seamless online experience and agencies are hungry for these skills. Learn as much as you can and be ready to learn more on the job.
Working in real estate is a busy, lively and varied career, and your work has the power to change your customers’ lives every day.
Setting yourself up with the right qualifications in the real estate industry is essential, and REINSW real estate courses are the best way to launch your property management career and become a licensed real estate agent. Our team is ready to help you achieve your goals and kickstart a rewarding career in real estate. Get your real estate licence with us today!
At REINSW, we connect our learners with REINSW Member agencies looking to take on new employees.
Visit the REINSW JOBS BOARD to see real estate job listings that may not be advertised elsewhere, available ONLY to REINSW students. We create an opportunity to provide learners with the assistance of getting their name in front of a real estate agent and the possibility of an interview to kick-start their career in real estate. Please note that we do not guarantee employment or an interview.
Start your journey with REINSW, the authority in the real estate industry, and we’ll be there by your side every step of the way.
Get started with our real estate training courses