Simon currently works as a marketing consultant, presenter and trainer for the University of Technology Sydney and had never auctioned before.
He explained: "As a presenter and a lover of real estate, I’ve always wanted to try my hand at auctioneering. I thought this would be the perfect platform to start, and what’s even better is that, along the way, I was able to help contribute some further funding and awareness to a magnificent cause: The McGrath Foundation.
"I was definitely a little nervous, but I was more excited than anything. I just wanted to get up and have fun with it and it was so much fun! The atmosphere in the place was brilliant.
"I didn’t expect to win and thought there were some really great auctioneers on the night, so when I was announced as the winner, I actually felt quite honoured."
Simon will now compete in the NAC State Final, where the overall winner scoops $1,000, conducts a charity auction at the REINSW Women in Real Estate Conference and receives two complimentary tickets to the REINSW Awards for Excellence.
His advice for anyone considering entering?
"Just have a go! If it’s something that you’ve been wanting to do, don’t put it off. Book yourself in and don’t die wondering. And more than anything, just have fun with it!"
There are eight remaining NAC heats, which are being held at:
- Heat three - Dubbo - Monday, 1 May 2017
- Heat four - Leeton/Yanco - Wednesday, 10 May 2017
- Heat five - Albury - 15 May 2017
- Heat six - Wollongong - Thursday, 18 May 2017
- Heat seven - Castle Hills - Thursday, 15 June 2017
- Heat eight - Dee Why - Tuesday, 27 June 2017
- Heat nine - Newcastle - Wednesday, 5 July 2017
- Heat 10 - Balmain - Sydney - Thursday, 13 July 2017.
Find out more information here.