Released 24 June 2011
The introduction of Regional Relocation Grants fulfils another NSW Liberals & Nationals’ election commitment, and will encourage population and economic growth in regional NSW.
A resident of the Mid North Coast, Mr Stoner said communities across regional NSW offer lower costs of living but with facilities, cultural events, food and wine equal to or even better than Sydney.
“Regional NSW is a great place to live, work and raise a family – these $7,000 grants will provide extra assistance to families planning a move out of Sydney,” Mr Stoner said.
“The NSW Government is committed to supporting population growth in the regions with increased spending in infrastructure and further job creation.
“The message to people considering a move out of Sydney is clear – there is no better time to move to regional NSW.
“From our beautiful country air and stunning landscapes to strong communities and a more affordable lifestyle, regional NSW is a great place to live and raise a family.
“The NSW Liberals & Nationals Government is proud to be supporting regional NSW and Sydney families who would like to make a tree or sea change,” Mr Stoner said.
Under legislation which passed through Parliament this week:
- One-off $7,000 grants will be payable to individuals or families who relocate homes from Sydney to regional NSW;
- The grant will be payable after the settlement of the purchase of a home in regional NSW and sale of a home in metropolitan Sydney;
- Grant is eligible for properties in regional NSW valued up to $600,000;
- The new home must be the applicants’ principal place of residence for at least 12 months;
- The scheme will operate for four years from 1 July 2011; and
- Budget impact is estimated to be up to $46.9 million per year, depending on the number of people taking up the offer.
Mr Baird said the Regional Relocation Grants were consistent with the NSW Government’s Regional Kick-Start
and Making Sydney Liveable Again
“The Government is committed to policies that assist and encourage whole-of-state growth. The Regional Relocation Grant, together with our policies which will ensure that regions get their fair share of jobs growth and infrastructure spending, will play an important role in getting the NSW economy moving again.”
“The Regional Relocation Grants will provide a very real benefit to families relocating within New South Wales, while driving economic growth in regional areas and relieving congestion pressures within Sydney.
“The NSW Government is committed to developing all of NSW – when regional NSW is strong then all of NSW benefits.”
“This scheme is just one of a number of measures the NSW Government is implementing to attract more people, growth and investment into regional areas,” Mr Baird said.