My advice is to:
1. Always seek professional advice about your borrowing capacity and long term investment strategy.
2. Invest in areas with high demand, have employment growth, good transport and infrastructure.
3. Don't dismiss older buildings because new housing can still have building finish issues, insurance claims and loss of value.
4. Purchase a building, pest and strata report so you know what you’re investing in.
5. Don’t let your emotions get involved because they can steer you away from a good investment.