12 CPD Points
Setting up a new business and making it a success requires hard work, focus and commitment. In this session, you’ll learn what you need to know about registering your business and what tax requirements there are when starting up. You’ll also gain an understanding about the compliance activities that are commonly undertaken by government to ensure new businesses are following the law.
What you'll learn
- Registration and business structure
- Income tax deductions
- Pay-as-you-go withholding
- Pay-as-you-go instalments
- Fringe benefits tax
- Record keeping and budgeting
- The role of NSW Fair Trading
- Why NSW Fair Trading carry out inspections
- What records NSW Trading inspect
- Certificates of Registration and Licences
- Trust accounts
- Sales and property management files, including rental bonds
- Internal procedures, including the Supervision Guidelines
- What happens if something is found?
- Disciplinary action
- 10 good office procedures
- 10 good business procedures
- Case studies
Meet the presenters
For more than 35 years, Craig Kerr worked with the Australian Taxation Office as an auditor and facilitator in education and training. During that time, he has gained expertise in taxation and superannuation legislation and over the last decade has conducted taxation and superannuation seminars, webinars and workshops in relation to BAS, GST, superannuation and income tax law.
Steve McGuire is a former Senior Real Estate Investigator with NSW Fair Trading and spent almost 20 years inspecting real estate agencies across Sydney and throughout NSW. He has extensive knowledge of the real estate industry and since leaving Fair Trading has been working closely with the industry in a training and consultative capacity.